DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club, near Como in Panola county, is the MidSouth’s first choice for a safe place to experience the joy of the shooting sports. For general usage, we are a private members-only range complex with facilities open to members 365 days a year from sunrise to sunset. We also offer several training courses, clinics and competitions that are open to the public including IDPA, NRA rifle and we host the first A Girl & A Gun chapter in Mississippi. DR&PC is the proud host of the Mississippi State IDPA match.
Please read the information below to learn more about about the facilities available to members. Tours and orientations for prospective or new members occur on Saturday or Sunday only at the times listed below.
DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club Range General Information
Our facilities, which are the largest in the state of Mississippi, feature the following:
- A Range Safety Officer (RSO) is on duty Saturdays and Sundays (weather permitting) to ensure safe shooting for everyone as well as to answer questions about our facilities. During Daylight Savings weeks, the RSO is typically on site from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Outside of Daylight Savings weeks, the RSO is typically on site from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Please note that new member orientations, including range tours, only occur Saturday at 9:00 AM and Sunday at 2:00 PM so that the RSO can otherwise be attentive to the safety and operational needs of the range facilities.
- 200 yard rifle range with target positions at 100, 150 and 200 yard distances and approximately 20 firing points. Approximately 2/3 of the firing line is covered, providing optimal shooting conditions in even the harshest of weather.
- 3 pistol bays are used some several days per month for competitions but otherwise are open to the general membership (check the Calendar for the dates and times of these matches). Two bays are approximately 25 yards wide by 25 yards deep while the other is approximately 50 yards wide by 50 yards deep. The current range safety and operation rules detail what sorts of firearms can be used in each pistol bay.
- 600 yard long distance rifle range is designed to accommodate CMP and NRA rifle matches and has eight target positions. There are raised firing lines at 200, 300 and 600 yards. We are proud to host the Mississippi State Rifle Championships on this range.
We are always working to grow and expand our range complex and its amenities so that our members will have the finest shooting facility possible to exercise their Constitutional rights.
Range Virtual Tour
We offer a variety of training and matches, including:
- Mississippi Enhanced Carry permit classes
- A Girl & A Gun events
- IDPA matches (home of the Mississippi State IDPA Championship match)
- 3-Gun matches
- Steel Challenge matches
- NRA Highpower and F-Class rifle matches
- Appleseed clinics (DR&PC provides range facilities for Appleseed)
Please consult the Calendar for an up to date listing of what events are occurring.
DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club is affiliated with the following organizations:
- The National Rifle Association, #B3225
- The Civilian Marksmanship Program, #35016 ( Download this certificate, then visit the CMP to purchase cool stuff! )
- The National Shooting Sports Foundation, #88956
- The International Defensive Pistol Association, #C0558
- The Steel Challenge Shooting Association, #SCSA127
- The Mississippi State Firearm Owners Association, #C006
DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club Bylaws
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software to open the file.
DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club Board of Directors
Listed below are the current officers serving on the Board of Directors. You can contact them directly via email using the Contact page and selecting the appropriate recipient.
Name, Board Role, End of Term
Richie Bailey, Director of Finance, April 2018
Hunter Todd, Director at Large, April 2019
Jimmie Neal, Chairman, April 2017
Chris Schmied, Director of Activities, April 2017
Roger Osborne, Director of Membership, April 2019
Open position, Director of Operations
DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club Coordinators
Listed below are the coordinators for specific disciplines, activities or other tasks.
Training Coordinator: Chris Schmied
Web/Communications Coordinator: Chris Schmied
Long Distance (F-Class) Coordinator: Jim Brown
CMP / NRA Service Rifle Coordinator: Jim Brown
IDPA Coordinator: Will Schmied
Steel Challenge Coordinator: Donny Summers
3-Gun Coordinator: Tanya Laing
Sporting Clays: Please contact O & S Sporting Clays directly by visiting their website for questions about sporting clays.